When the going gets tough……


….The tough make pizza. That’s how the saying goes, right? 

 

Actually, it’s not - but that’s what I did the other morning when January became too much for me. 

 

It wasn’t a well-thought-out decision. It’s true that I’d been missing pizza, the only ones I’d eaten over the last few years having been either a) doughy American-style jobbies topped with what tasted like tomato ketchup and Monterey jack cheese or b) trendy, hipster-style thin ones with right-on toppings such as rocket and avocado. In other words, salad served on an over-sized water biscuit. 

 

So when I went into the kitchen the other morning and spotted some flour spilt on the units, I thought: “I know. I’ll compound that mess and make a pizza”. And the project was a qualified success because the result was edible and it helped to pass a few hours.

 

However, the fact remains that the going is indeed getting tough in this overly-long winter that feels like wartime.

 

I used to wonder how I’d cope in a wartime situation. I even on occasion thought it was a shame not to have been tested in the ways our heroic forefathers had. But overall I think this is probably a good thing in my case, because I would probably have been a collaborator.

 

Shocking, right? Though I certainly wouldn’t have sided with the enemy or slept with members of the occupation forces. And I wouldn’t have taken any gifts of stockings or cigarettes from any strange foreign men, either. I would merely have tried to make the best of things and given the marauding army the benefit of the doubt. Not much of a strategy, is it?

 

So as far as I’m concerned, perhaps it’s just as well that our generation’s “war” calls for no difficult moral decisions, no tarring, no feathering and no actual fighting – just overly long days filled with muddy walks and pizza. Not so bad when you look at it that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s play nicely this time

Google sees inside our soul

VE Day takes on a particular poignancy