Stop the lockdown – I want to get off


OK, I’m bored now. I’ve done my chores, I’ve no imminent work deadlines and I’ve planned out all our meals for the weekend. 

 

The sun is shining and spring is around the corner with its promise of longer days, bulbs, blossom and the easing of restrictions.

 

But I want it NOW.

 

I suspect I’m not alone in periodically becoming very, very fed up with this whole sorry business. It’s tragic when one reflects on what one was doing this time last year. Brian and I had just spent a weekend away with Ben, Josie and Robbie to celebrate Brian’s 60thbirthday and we were about to set off on a 10-day trip to Vietnam. This would involve us eating in restaurants, mingling with happy crowds and dancing in pubs with strangers.

 

How alien it all feels now. 

 

It’s in times like these that I console myself by a) remembering that we’re finally on the home stretch and b) by looking more closely at the nitty gritty of what life was really like this time last year.

 

I have my 2020 diary to hand. Exactly one year ago this week I spent the Monday afternoon at my weekly spin class. This involved a trip to the gym where I joined a vaguely hostile group of people on a 45-minute cycle ride to nowhere while being egged on by the lithe instructress.

 

On the Tuesday I went to the dentist to have some teeth filled. On the Wednesday I drove to Barnet to visit Auntie Jean at her care home – something I did every week. She would become anxious if I were even a minute late, which made the M25 journey pretty stressful. I then had to stay 90 minutes (any less and she would complain) making conversation with a 102-year-old who didn’t want to be there. 

 

And on the Thursday I went walking with a group of women who weren’t really my friends, but who provided some company on a week when Brian was away from Monday to the Thursday. Hmm. Doesn’t sound so great when you look at it like that.

 

Like many people I’ve reassessed my life and have realised that I’d been sleepwalking into a bunch of activities without stopping to think how much I enjoyed them. So in these last few months – maybe even weeks – before lockdown ends I’m going to try to appreciate my relatively stress-free existence, which currently revolves around my home, my friends and my omnipresent husband. 

 

And when things return to normal I’m going to give up the spin classes and go out walking with people I actually like. But I’ll definitely be resuming my visits to Auntie Jean, who is now approaching 104 and will probably outlive us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s play nicely this time

Google sees inside our soul

VE Day takes on a particular poignancy