The long-awaited easing

On Sunday came the big announcement. The lockdown was easing and we could finally take our first baby steps back into the world. So what did we hope the PM would say? 

Turns out it entirely depended on who we were. My sister-in-law is desperately missing her grandchildren and was listening closely for the word “bubble”. Her daughter’s young family live a short walk away, and she would love the two households to join up.

My friend Michelle was hoping to hear the word: “hairdresser” as she’s in dire need of a cut. And the presenter of a comedy programme we watched last night described the announcement as so much white noise without the inclusion of the word: “nursery”.  He wants to offload his very young kids as soon as he decently can.

It made me wonder: what am I missing most about this lockdown? Technically it should be Auntie Jean. But love her as I do, my weekly visits are often pretty stressful. After my 40-minute drive to her care home she reels off a long list of complaints before exclaiming: “Do you really have to leave so soon?” I’m now writing and FaceTiming frequently, but as long as she remains OK I’m actually quite enjoying the break. 

Spin classes? Ha. I used to grumble about them weekly – all that sweaty pedalling to nowhere. It was only when the gym closed down that I realised how much I actually loathed them. So I happily accepted the proffered refund, but I think I’m on my own. Turns out the rest of the group has moved on to Zoom classes and are now being bullied in their own homes on exercise bikes they already had (they had bikes all along, yet were paying for spin classes? Unbelievable.) 

Badminton is a biggie, as I love my badminton ladies and miss the 90-minute runaround on a Friday morning. But we’ll be back before we know it and I can wait another month or so.

I obviously miss Ben (in Switzerland) and Josie (in Germany), but they’re well and happy and in low-risk countries, so why worry? And I’m missing my friends, but communicating with them more than usual via email, phone, FaceTime etc.

So what was I listening for during the lockdown easing speech? 

If I’m honest, it’s the second home thing. We’re lucky enough to have a little house by the seaside and we generally go down there every two or three weeks. And call me shallow, but I’m also missing pubs - particularly the ones near our seaside home. The casual connections, the back-and-forth, the bonhomie, the live music, the spontaneous dancing – all are temporarily lost to us.

I’ve no grandkids to miss. And I’m loving the fact that my habitually-messy hair is no longer any less coiffeured than anyone else’s. But just give me a glass of wine in a pub by the seaside and I’ll know I’m finally back in the land of the living.

In a pub in Weymouth last autumn. Who are all those people? No clue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s play nicely this time

Google sees inside our soul

VE Day takes on a particular poignancy