Keep your (social) distance

I bumped into my “reader” yesterday when Brian and I were out for our walk. You know who you are.

Well, when I say “bumped”, I actually mean “spotted” and then stood the statutory two metres away for a chat. There were other little pockets of people doing the same thing, keeping their distance as they attempted to carry on conversations. On one occasion we had to step into the road to avoid coming too close to some oncoming strangers, which meant playing chicken with the few cars in the road. That would have been embarrassing - to have been knocked down by a car while practising “safe” social distancing.

This is just another element of our strange new world. Crossing the road to avoid someone else used to be considered an insult, but it has now become a sign of respect. No, actually it’s the rules. I just wish our British embarrassment wouldn’t make us avoid each other’s eyes as we do so. Surely at a time like this when hugs and handshakes are off the table, a nice big smile would elevate people’s moods and remind us all that we’re in this thing together?

Social distancing has its other challenges, too. Brian and I are currently working from home – me in the front office and Brian in the upstairs front bedroom. But we were both disturbed yesterday by the sound of people shouting in the street. It was a family out cycling who had come across some friends and were bellowing their greetings while remaining at a safe distance. Though not technically a public nuisance, it interrupted my train of thought and disrupted Brian’s telephone meeting. However, I mustn’t grumble.

Tonight we’ll all be outside again, giving a round of applause to our healthcare workers. What a lovely idea. It’s been going on for some weeks in Europe, apparently, and in Switzerland where Ben lives people use pots and pans and make quite a din. In our locked down lives that sounds pretty much like a party. I can’t wait.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s play nicely this time

Google sees inside our soul

VE Day takes on a particular poignancy